Trend Hungry had the chance to attend an exclusive preview for Kohl's…
They’re fun, flirty, and a chronic obsession for Taylor Swift! Polka Dots- a long-lived trend that has been passed down from generation to generation. Snapbacks & Tattoos put snapbacks back on the map, Nelly’s Air Force Ones reminded everyone to get their shoe game together, and Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini’ got ladies thinking about the summer. Fashionistas have been rockin’ polka dots dating all the way back to the ’60s (work it ladies!)
Today, this classic trend works great with beachwear, nightlife, and everyday living. If I had to make one assumption, I’d say T Swift is completely enthralled with this trend- check her out in the latest ad for Keds! That being said, let’s take a peek into how to successfully rock polka dots like the expert herself, Ms. Harry Styles (whoops, I mean T. Swift).
1. Bikini. The search for an itsy-bitsy-teenie-weenie-yellow-polka-dot bikini is on! Warm weather may be months away, so plan ahead. Ms. Swift’s been spotted in a black halter one-piece dotted bikini. One piece bathing suits give you enough coverage and comfort, while slimming the body -plus they’re super sexy! Paired with a floral beach bag, this mix-&-match combo is great for quality beach time. One pieces not your thing? Taylor also keeps the trend going with this retro red bikini with white dots. The high-waisted bottom and top cover enough skin, balancing out the suit’s quirkiness and practicality.
2. Sweater. The bigger the dots the better. Stay classic while totally making a statement (not to mention being noticed miles away!) Taylor styled this outfit perfectly. A polka-dot sweater (or shirt) matched with solid color jeans and ballet flats is perfect for grabbing brunch, shopping, or museum browsing. Forever 21 has a a similar style for under $20!
3. Dress. Hands down, my favorite Taylor Swift look thus far. Whether the dress is long sleeve, short sleeve, halter or sweetheart top, polka dots on a dress are cute, flirty and eye-catching. I personally have a polka dress and feel like I need to go a drive thru movie theatre every time I wear it and order a ice cream float. Oh yeah- another thing Taylor Swift is obsessed with-RED. But in this case, red lipstick with a black polka dot dress and kitten heels work perfectly!
4. Blouse. The most common polka-dot styles come in red, black or white. Polka dots match best with solid colors. Depending on your mood, go for a loud bold color like neon pink jeans or a knee length black skirt like Swift. She does a great job of matching dotted blouses with bottoms that give the most comfort for her crazy schedule. Dotted blouses go great with skirts, shorts, capris and jeans…they’re appropriate for all occasions!
5. Headbands. Keep that hair in tact at all times! Polka-dot headbands are cute and work great when your hair is down, in up-dos and of course, with curly hair. Mix and match dotted styles like Taylor does here or incorporate your headband with other prints or solid colors. Either way, dotted headbands are cute and practical! If you can’t find dotted headbands at stores, this is a fun DIY project that can done in minutes!
Okay…I’m all polka-ed out! Get the Taylor Swift look for less by nosing through these dotted goodies below!